The Blessings of Keeping a Journal

Earlier this afternoon I was talking with a friend who has tolerated me for almost forty years. I reminded her that she had met my sister Deb when Deb came to visit shortly after I moved to Eugene. I couldn’t remember the year. 1984? 1985? It’s not that I have forgotten everything; I just have bad organizational skills and can’t retrieve information. Names and Dates. I remember that my mom died on a Tuesday in November in 1972, but I don’t remember the specific date except Richard Nixon was re-elected that date. I remember I had my Kidney removed in 1988. I’m guessing it was May, soccer season. If I do the math, I can figure out when my dad died. It was July.

I am blessed with being able to look things up. At least the early years are printed. Typing was the closest thing I had to a computer. Being hard-wired for hard-copy, I printed my journals. Not only did I print my journals, about two hundred pages a month, but I indexed each month. Talk about time consuming, especially when I had photographs and text that had to be fixed.

And then I became a full-time teacher and gone was the time. It was no longer a matter of no time to clean a document up, but I had no time to write. A forty hour job easily became a sixty to eighty hour a week job. If I had only taught English, my sole credential, forty hours might have done the job, but I had to teach everything. Don’t get me wrong, I was willing and managed to do so for five years, but some things had to give. Bowling and my Journal.

It didn’t take me quite as long to develop a journal routine. Email has really saved the day in that respect since I include emails from everyone into my journal. Most people know. Unfortunately, some take the brunt of my need to write and get rather long-winded emails. Given the chance, I’ll babble. Most of my babbling happens in journals, though blogs sometimes get that treatment when I don’t know when to just shut up or at least stay on the same subject for a paragraph or two.

There is a blessing I feel for having so much of my life written down and that I kept my journals. It took me so much work and discipline to stick with it that it’s the least that I can do to celebrate my persistent nature, though it does help to be obsessive-compulsive.

I remember that my sister Deb visited Eugene, though in retrospect, I think my Dad sent her to check up on me and to report whether I had been abducted by some cult or something and would need intervention.

He was sort of right, but I wouldn’t consider the Wings organization a cult.

But my sister’s visit came before I got my act together. Perhaps I’d remember the year, but since I don’t remember even the year I moved to Oregon, which was the tidal wave in  the events in my life. Overall, in my 57 years, I have been lucky that colossal collisions with the shitty moments in life have been few. Life’s been easier a lot more days than harder, and I have proof. Lots of it.

While standing in front of a narrow bookcase at my early journals, September 1984 jumped out at me. For a brief moment, I got to be with my sister Deb. Saturday, September 1, 1984. 9:53 p.m. (Yes, I am that anal) “Quite a day!” (This is a handwritten entry, and I wouldn’t be surprised if that exclamation point was the only one written in many months. I wrote slowly and hated making mistakes. I would just put a few neat lines through the offending letter. “Deb and I went to Saturday Market and had a good time walking around. I came home with two kittens! Deb wants to call them Bonnie & Clyde. Clyde is a black male and Bonnie is a grey female. They were born the Tuesday after July 11th. Cancer babies. (Before I moved to Eugene, I had no idea what my sign was. Three months later, it became my guiding light.)

It turned out that Bonnie was really a boy; obviously I hadn’t had any feline experience to help identify genders, but Bonnie became Stanley and Clyde became Oliver.

It had taken me a few tries of journaling in a spiral, to finally resort to three-ring binders. To be able to read a letter that my sister Barbara wrote to me thirty-three years ago is such a treat. Yes, I keep everything.

Sometimes I read things that surprise me. I almost named the kittens Ying and Yang. I called them Ying and Yang for a day or two. Then it became Hardy and Laural. Eventually they would become Stanley and Oliver. Mostly I called them grey and black. Ying and Yang were names that settled on a pair many years later, which is still misspelled; they are my current cats. I wonder if Oliver had a different name, he would have been protected from River Road, but a black cat on a busy road didn’t stand much of a chance.

I hope my journals have gotten better over the years, but there are times when I haven’t the slightest idea what I was talking about. I’ve got an entry from September 5, 1984 where there was a person that I had to talk to on the phone, but I don’t say who it is! Maybe the memory will float to the surface, but probably not. The mysterious she.

Sometimes I am surprised that I even made it out of my twenties and thirties. I didn’t always take care of myself. This isn’t an unusual story by any means, but I do feel pride in persevering and hope this will help motivate me to keep pushing on. After all, the alternative isn’t so great.

I'd love to hear from you.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s